Educator and author Stephen Spignesi is coming to the East Hampton Library on Saturday, Oct. 6 to share the strangest true stories about our nation’s leaders, including personality quirks, eating behaviors, weird hobbies, crazy quotes and other trivia.
Stephen Spignesi is a New York Times bestselling author who writes about historical biography, popular culture, television, film, American and world history and contemporary fiction. He is also a university professor, novelist, poet, screenwriter and musician.
Spignesi also lectures on a variety of popular culture and historical subjects and is a Practitioner in Residence at the University of New Haven and Adjunct Professor at Gateway Community College in Connecticut.
A slideshow of the Presidents, from Washington to Obama, is part of the talk, as is a book signing at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6.
Pre-registration is required.
You can register online by clicking here.
Or call the library at 860-267-6621.
Some facts from Spignesi’s new book include:
- Andrew Jackson was married to a bigamist.
- Martin Van Buren wore pistols in the Senate chamber in case things got too rowdy.
- Franklin Pierce ran over a woman with his horse while in office and was arrested, but was released when the police realized he was the president.
- James Garfield could simultaneously write Greek with one hand and Latin with the other.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower’s nickname for his staff driver was “Private Parts.”
- Barack Obama can bench press 200 pounds.
The Amazon.com listing for Spignesi’s book allows you to click on the cover and read some sample pages, mainly little-known facts about President George Washington. Click here .
Posted October 1, 2012
Related link: Stephen Spignesi’s web site http://stephenspignesi.com
Have a news item, event or Letter to the Editor you’d like posted on this news site? Simply send your information to email@example.com and include your town in the subject line of your email. Please also include a phone number where you can be reached if there are questions. For daily updates on local and Connecticut news, “like” us on Facebook at HTNP News. https://www.facebook.com/HTNPnews and find us on our NEW Twitter page at HTNP News (@HTNPNews )